top of page

About Camborne Show

The Camborne Show was set up by the Holman family in 1941 with the help and support of local farmers. It was the Holman family’s’ way of raising much needed funds for The Red Cross and their sterling work in the care of service personnel and their families during the Second World War - before the beginning of the National Health Service in 1948.


The first Camborne Show took place in 1942 on the August Bank Holiday which in those days was at the beginning of August. Members of staff of Holman’s were encouraged to get involved and help and assist the show. Their carpenters made all of the stands and Holman’s staff and wagons could be seen taking the items down to the show site and erecting them during the week prior to the show.


Edwin Phillips - Winner of the Tradesmen Turnout at the first Camborne Show 1942

Staff members giving up their August Bank Holiday to help and assist at the show were given an extra day’s holiday at Christmas.

The Show grew and grew seeing visitor numbers in the 15,000 plus as, at that time, summer holidays were non existent due to the war. The Show saw strong support from Lloyds Bank Camborne - the manager and staff would attend the Show and count the monies taken on the day. They set up their counting house in the rugby club changing rooms and it has been noted that the President kept his special “bottle” in the showers to keep cool.

The magnificent 'Bluebell'


The cattle section still present one of their most prestigious trophies, The Harry Cock silver Cup. Harry was the first cattle section secretary and the manager of Lloyds Bank Camborne. Harry’s great grandson Jonathon can be found today in Lloyds Bank Camborne/Redruth.

In later years the Show saw many celebrity visitors with Soap Stars such as Ken Barlow from Coronation Street and Benny from Crossroads attending and signing autographs.

With the demise of the Holman Company the Camborne Show became a registered charity in 1986 and in 1989 the first Executive Committee was formed. Mr. Phillip Osmond became the first Chairman. Up and until this time the Chairman and President (a joint office) had been held by members of the Holman family.

The Show has had its turbulent times, losing the cattle section for some 14 years between 1970 and 1984 and there was one year, 2001, when the show did not take place at all due to Foot and Mouth Disease.


The Show has moved from its original site the Camborne Recreational Ground and Camborne Rugby Club 2 or 3 times to its present location Gwealavellan Farm by kind permission of Mary and Ernest Bowden where we hope it will remain for many years to come.


Inaugural Show - mainly horses
1943 - 46
Introduction of Cattle, Horticulture, Pigeons & Poultry Sections.
Dog Section introduced
Goat Section introduced
Fur / Rabbit Section introduced
Mr. & Mrs. Pidwell introduce Cage Birds Section
Formation of the Camborne Show Society as a registered charity
Election of the first Chairman of the Executive - Mr. Phillip Osmond
Reintroduction of the Domestic Section by Malcolm & Linda Dickie
Last Fur/Rabbit section
Move to a new site - Gwealavellan Farm by kind permission of Mary & Ernest Bowden
Introduction of Heavy Horses, Pony Club Games, Young Farmers Club & Sheep Exhibition
Introduction of Alpaca / Llama Fleece Show
Lady Mary Holborow JP Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall becomes Patron
Return of the Rabbit Section
Show Cancelled due to Covid-19 Pandemic

Since 1941

Achievement 1

Charitable donations

Education contributions

bottom of page